Fire Safety for Kids
10 Fire Safety Tips for Kids
Teach kids how to prevent a fire and stay safe in case of fire with these important tips.
1. Don't play with matches. In fact, don't even pick them up. If you find matches or a lighter on the floor, be sure to tell an adult. This goes for lit candles, too.
2. Check your house for smoke detectors. There should be at least one on every floor of your home. And ask
3. Check your house for fire hazards. Fireplaces and electrical cords should be checked regularly to make sure they are in good working order. If there is an adult in the home who smokes, make sure that he disposes of his ashes frequently in a heavy metal container.
4. Make a family fire safety plan. What should you do if you hear the smoke alarm in the middle of the night? Talk to your family about where you should go and what you should all do in the event of a fire. There should be two ways to escape from every room (in case one way is blocked by fire.) And you should pick a location outside — a neighbor's house, a big tree, a nearby park — where everyone can meet.
5. Practice your fire safety plan. Don't just talk about it —run through your plan to make sure everyone knows what to do. Check windows and screens to make sure that they will open if necessary. And practice meeting up at your assigned location outside.
6. If there is a fire in your home, remember this important fire safety tip: Don't hide, go outside! You may be
7. The best way to escape in the event of a fire is to fall and crawl. Get low to the ground where there is less smoke in the air and crawl your way to safety.
8. If your clothes are on fire, don't panic. Remember to stop, drop and roll. Keep rolling until the fire is out. Don't run — it will make the fire spread faster.
9. Never go back inside a burning building. You made a fire safety plan with your family, now stick to it! Once you get to the designated meeting spot, stay there and wait for your family to arrive.
10. Know your emergency phone numbers. Call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency. You should also know the number for