- Building and Planning
Building and Planning
About the Department
The Building and Planning Department is a unit within the Town's Department of Public Works. The Senior Planner ensures that all building construction in the Town is in compliance with applicable building, safety and zoning regulations. The planning staff reviews proposed construction projects for conformity with the Town's Comprehensive Plan and overall community development goals. This department staffs the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Conservation Board, Architectural Review Board, and the Historical Preservation Commission.
Land Use Board and Commission Meeting Schedule
The Town of Brighton has adopted the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code with additional town requirements for sprinklers.
The Town of Brighton Code includes the Comprehensive Development Regulations which controls land use and development.
- Zoning Applications include Planning Board (PB), Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA), Architectural Review Board (ARB), Historic Preservation Commission (HPC), Sign Review, and Certificate of Compliance (C of C). See 'Applications and Forms' below or contact Building and Planning staff.
View here for a list of common residential projects, including basic zoning review and building permit requirements.
Applications and Forms
- I have an old water heater at the curb, when will you pick it up?
- Can I store my boat on my driveway?
- My neighbor has teenagers and lots of cars and very frequently cars are parked on their lawn. Is this allowed?
- My neighbor has cut his grass only twice this summer. How often should the grass be cut?