Leaf and Yard Debris Collection
*Bulk yard debris and leaf collection efforts have ended for the season* Town crews will continue to pick up containerized debris throughout the Town as weather conditions allow. Check back on this page in the Spring of 2017 for daily updates on yard debris collection efforts.
To help us remove your leaves as quickly as possible, please:
- Do not place any yard debris piles, leaf piles or containers onto the roadway, shoulders or gutters as it creates a safety hazard for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists and is also a violation of NYS Highway and NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law.
- Separate all small quantities of sticks, brush, yard clippings and other yard debris into reusable containers or paper bags – not plastic bags. Containers must weigh no more than 50 lbs. This allows recycling of all materials and helps avoid damage to our leaf vacuum or injury to our crew members. Small loose piles will not be collected.
- Grass clippings will not be collected. The Town of Brighton has a grass-recycling program that encourages residents to either compost their clippings or simply leave them on the lawn. Brighton residents may drop off grass clippings for composting at the Highway Department, which is located on 1941 Elmwood Ave.
- Don’t pile leaves around fire hydrants or other obstructions. Covering hydrants can prevent firefighters from finding them when every second counts. Hidden hydrants and obstructions are also dangerous for those picking up the leaves and bulk yard debris as they may be struck, causing injury to crew members or damage to equipment.
- We do not collect stumps, rocks, stones, metal, lumber, plastics, glass, fencing or waste materials. PLEASE NO SOD.
- Do not mix household refuse with yard debris.
For more information on our Leaf Collection and Yard Debris program please call the Highway Department at 784-5280.