Leaf and Yard Debris Collection
The Town has recently purchased a leaf vacuum collector to supplement the Town’s leaf collection efforts. The leaf vacuum will constitute as a separate collection crew that will be used throughout Town in appropriate neighborhood settings to facilitate leaf collection efforts. In order for this new piece of equipment to be effective, yard debris cannot be commingled with leaves. We ask that you keep leaves and yard debris separate, as yard debris can damage our leaf vacuum or cause injury to a crew member. As the leaf vacuum collector travels through town we ask to maintain a safe distance between the crew and yourself. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation in this regard.
A copy of the Leaf Waste Collection Technology Study used to evaluate the purchase of the leaf vacuum can be found at the following link:
Leaf Waste Collection Technology Study
To help us remove your leaves as quickly as possible, please:
- Do not place any yard debris piles, leaf piles or containers onto the roadway, shoulders or gutters as it creates a safety hazard for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists and is also a violation of NYS Highway and NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law.
- Separate all small quantities of sticks, brush, yard clippings and other yard debris into reusable containers or paper bags – not plastic bags. Containers must weigh no more than 50 lbs. This allows recycling of all materials and helps avoid damage to our leaf vacuum or injury to our crew members. Small loose piles will not be collected.
- Grass clippings will not be collected. The Town of Brighton has a grass-recycling program that encourages residents to either compost their clippings or simply leave them on the lawn. Brighton residents may drop off grass clippings for composting at the Highway Department, which is located on 1941 Elmwood Ave.
- Don’t pile leaves around fire hydrants or other obstructions. Covering hydrants can prevent firefighters from finding them when every second counts. Hidden hydrants and obstructions are also dangerous for those picking up the leaves and bulk yard debris as they may be struck, causing injury to crew members or damage to equipment.
- We do not collect stumps, rocks, stones, metal, lumber, plastics, glass, fencing or waste materials. PLEASE NO SOD.
- Do not mix household refuse with yard debris.
For more information on our Leaf Collection and Yard Debris program please refer to the map below or call the Highway Department at 784-5280.
|Bulk and containerized leaves and yard debris will be collected in the BLUE shaded sub areas on Friday, December 09, 2016. Bulk and containerized leaves and yard debris pickup crews are expected to be in the GREEN shaded sub areas on Monday, December 12, 2016. Use the address locator bar or the zooming feature of the interactive map to locate your street: